A backup is a snapshot of the current state of your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
When you restore a backup, you can:
- return your device to the state it was in when that backup was made.
- move your data to a new device.
iMazing's Transfer to another Device feature is a simple way to move data from one device to another, with the added bonus of being able to exclude content from the restore process.
This is particularly useful in the following scenarios:
- Migrate all your data when you upgrade your phone.
- Start fresh on a new device, but keep your contacts and messages.
- Transfer apps only to a family iPod Touch or iPad that your kids will use.
- Simultaneously copy data to multiple iPads you manage for a class you teach.
Who is this guide for?
Anyone who wants to easily transfer data from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to other device(s).
Before you begin
Download and install iMazing.
To transfer data from an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to another devce:
- Launch iMazing and connect both of your devices.
- In the left sidebar, select the device with the data you want to transfer.
- In the Actions Panel, select Transfer to another Device. This will open the Transfer Wizard.
- In the wizard, click on either Customize buttons to select what data to restore.
- Click Next.
- Select the device(s) you want to transfer the data to.
- Click Next. This will open a confirmation dialog box.
- Click Transfer to being the data transfer.
(Optional) If your backup is encrypted and not store in your keychain, you will need your backup password to initiate a restore.
Enter your password and click OK.
- iMazing will erase all your current data, and start the transfer process. Your device will then restart.
Once the transfer is finished, click Done to return to the iMazing interface.
- Once the transfer has started, you can safely click Close Window to minimize the wizard and return to iMazing's interface.
What to keep in mind
- Transfer to another Device requires both devices to be connected to your computer.
- If you want health data to be copied across, make sure that your current backup is encrypted.
- Restoring a backup might take some time to complete. To check the operation's status, click on the Operations button in the upper toolbar (see step 9).
- Transfer data to another device will not change the target device's passcode.
- Backups do not include your iTunes Media Library (iTunes U, Podcasts, Ringtones, Videos, iBooks and Music), so that data will not be transferred.
For support on iMazing, visit our Support Page.