What data is included in an iPhone or iPad backup?
A backup is a snapshot of the current state of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. An iOS backup contains the following datasets and settings:
|Accounts, settings, other
- iOS backups are made in a specific format set by Apple. iMazing cannot control the backup process itself.
- Backups do not include your iTunes Media Library (Music, iTunes U, Podcasts, Ringtones, Books and Movies synced or purchased on iTunes), so that data will not be included and should be synced separately if needed. These data is usually already synced via iTunes, Apple Music or iCloud Music Library. Have a look to our Music section to transfer these data to your computer.
Backups are always substantially smaller than reported disk usage on your device, mainly because they do not contain:
- The Operating system (iOS)
- Apps - since iOS 9 backups include user data of apps, but not the apps themselves. They are re-downloaded from the App Store when restoring a backup.
- Your iTunes Media Library (Music, iTunes U, Podcasts, Ringtones, Videos and Movies from the 'Videos' and 'TV' app). This data is usually already synced via iTunes / Apple Music or iCloud Music Library.
❗ Important: Safari data, Health data and passwords (Keychain) are only backed up if backup encryption is enabled. iMazing fully supports encrypted backups, and will encourage you to use this vital security feature.
Unlike iTunes, iMazing 2 archives your backups automatically and lets you: