If you use the instant messaging app WhatsApp, you may find yourself in situations where your WhatsApp chats don't transfer as they should when you get a new iPhone.
iMazing can help you transferring all chats by exporting WhatsApp data from the source phone (or from a backup of it), then importing it to the new phone. It's easy, it's free, and it only takes a few clicks.
Who is this guide for?
Anyone who wants to transfer WhatsApp chats from one iPhone to another, including across Apple IDs.
Before you begin
Download and install iMazing on your Mac or PC computer
Here's how to transfer WhatsApp data from one iPhone to another:
Extract WhatsApp data from the source device:
- Download and install iMazing. Launch the app, and connect your device to your Mac or PC.
- Select your device in iMazing's sidebar, then click Manage Apps.
- Click on the Device tab to see the apps installed on this device. Scroll to find WhatsApp, select it and click the Back Up button:
- iMazing's Back Up App Data wizard opens. The wizard explains how this process works.
- To extract WhatsApp data, choose a destination folder (by default, this is your Desktop), then check the Extract Options. You can extract the current app data (will trigger a fresh backup of your device), or you can try to extract data from the latest backup.
- Click Next and confirm.
- iMazing starts extracting WhatsApp data to a .imazingapp file. If you chose to extract data from a fresh backup, iMazing will back up your device first. Please be patient as the first backup can take a while. When this process has completed, iMazing will inform you, and you can click Close Window to return to the main view.
Restore WhatsApp data to another device:
Before getting started, check if WhatsApp is already installed on the target device. If it is, delete it so that iMazing can start on a clean slate.
- Launch iMazing and connect the target device.
- Just like before, select the device in iMazing's sidebar, then click Manage Apps.
- Again, click the Device tab, then click the down-pointing arrow button next to the Uninstall button. Choose Restore App Data from the menu.
- The Restore App Data wizard opens.
- Click the Choose button, and pick the WhatsApp.imazingapp file that you exported from the first device. Then, click Done to start transferring your WhatsApp data.
- If Find My iPhone is active on the target device, iMazing will warn you that you must temporarily deactivate this feature. You can do this in Settings > Apple ID (tap your name at the top of the Settings window to access your Apple ID) > iCloud. Toggle off Find My iPhone, then enter your Apple ID password to continue.
- If WhatsApp is not installed on the target device, iMazing will ask you to sign into the App Store so it can download the app. Enter your password in the dialog, then click Sign In.
- If iMazing needs to download the app, this may take a while, depending on your bandwidth and the size of the app. iMazing also has to restart your iPhone or iPad, and this may take a few minutes. Please be patient.
If you want to transfer all your data to a new phone
If you want to transfer your all your data to a new phone, iMazing's Transfer to Another Device feature is the best way to go. You probably have data in a number of apps that you want to transfer, so you can transfer all your app data and settings at once. See our article: How to transfer data from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to another device to learn how to do this with iMazing.